– A World Bank facility is expected to be made available, which would provide specific amounts to Regional Governments in the event of “Named Storms”. The expected payment would increase with the severity of the Storm, e.g. they would pay more for a Category 4 than for a Category 1.
– Buildings will need to be designed so that in Earthquakes, the buildings will survive long enough to enable persons to escape and to allow for search and rescue.
– Preparedness will not be achievable unless EVERYONE tries to be prepared. This includes having Heavy Equipment on standby or readily available for quick action.
– Schools may not be the best Emergency Shelters. Experience has shown that countries recover faster if normality can be restored quickly. This means getting children back to school promptly.
– The University of The West Indies has a “Virtual Disaster Library” which can be seen on the U.W.I. Website.
– “Civilisation exerts by Geological Consent” i.e. geology can change Without Notice!
– The New Orleans Fire Chief reported that Katrina was Category 3 when she hit land, but the storm surge became Category 5 level!
– New Orleans saw thousands of Hotel Guests struggling for food and supplies after Hotel Staff were allowed to leave for their own safety. Resorts need to think this through!
– Communications can break-down in a Disaster. Make very specific plans to allow for independent actions if communications are lost.
– Vary your banking routine, Carry cash in a variety of ways.
– Vary the times and routes that you use to go to the bank.
– Stay alert and aware of your surroundings.